Monday, May 11, 2015

Weeks 17 & 18 #VirginiaSwift

Hello all!

The last two weeks have gone by very quickly. I've been very busy with the internship but also have begun to understand the importance of actually taking time off to do things that have nothing to do with photography. As much as I love working and I would love to make pictures all the time, it was really nice to take two days completely off last week to go on an adventure. I climbed a mountain and ran down it and went to a lake and read a book and ate ice cream and it felt like summer. It was beautiful.

My time here in Virginia is winding down but I'm keeping my energy and enthusiasm up.
Here are some images:



An outtake from when I went to Baltimore. See my edit from that night here.


I think the last two weeks has had me really getting out of my comfort zone. When I was very young, my siblings and I would try to catch bees using plastic lunch baggies... I suppose I got stung a few too many times because I've always had an unnatural fear. Two years ago I stepped on a nest while photographing my friend rock climbing. I was too afraid to go through the bees and back down to safety so I tried to climb straight down... which resulted in me falling about 20 feet and breaking my ankle. See evidence of that here. So when I had to photograph at a bonsai tree farm, I dared myself to get as close to the bees as I could. 


Custodial workers went on strike, demanding higher wages and paid vacations.


Life and business partners Bob and Todd own a bonsai tree farm. Patti Smith once called them Golden Boys. 


Aubryn and her father on a hayride at Westmoreland Berry Farm.


One of the major battles of the Civil War took place here. This area is called the graveyard and is a big tourist attraction... or just a fun field to play in. 


Birdseye view of the Fredericksburg Great Train Race


Braehead Berry Farm owned by the Snead's. The Vultures in the background are circling over where a calf had been born the day before. 


Baptist preacher celebrating national prayer day


Owen Zon, 14, playing in the UMW Fife and Drum Corps at Graduation


Clearly the spectators were riveted by the graduation ceremony


I kept waiting for everyone to throw their hats in the air... Never happened. 


Cute kids are boring but these ones were actually pretty cool. 


This is a costume birthday party for a girl that was adopted from Nepal a few years ago.  Guests were asked to bring donations for the orphanage instead of gifts. 


Seven year olds can be vicious. Jasmine was into the idea of sharing her "house" with anyone.


Iron Man, Darth Vader, Jasmine and a sailor hanging out.


Lilo playing hoops.


Wrastlin


(Not) sharing the ball


The Virginia Bazaar food court, clearly the happening place to be on a Sunday.


This is Queenie. She owns a space at the Virginia Bazaar where she sells records and CDs.


Katherine and her beau.


Setting up lights for a portrait shoot, thanks for the self timer, Nikon. It's been a long but productive two weeks, time for a nap and an air conditioner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment