Sunday, January 18, 2015

Week Two––#VirginiaSwift

Week two of my spring internship has come to an end.

This week brought many new challenges and experiences. I saw some friends, met some of my heroes, mailed over forty postcards and photographed several truly resilient and interesting humans. It's nice to be able to focus on my photography again. After having been so immersed with the Slab City documentary (trailer coming soon), it is a relief to be thrown back into photography. However, I'm struggling to be content with anything I photographed this week. I have this quixotic view of what my images should look like and when it is not achieved, it can be frustrating. Thankfully, working for a newspaper means that there are new assignments (thus new opportunities to improve) everyday.




This is Trevor Macfadden. He works at the coffee shop I go to everyday. We did a feature on 25 30 Espresso (the shop) as a part of Fredericksburg's annual Restaurant Week.


This is Evan, a five-year-old with autism. Evan's older brother, Andrew also has autism and his mother just had another child. Evan's house was recently infested with bed bugs and his mother had to get rid of all of the furniture and toys while taking care of a newborn. Evan now owns lots of toy weapons.



This is LeAnn, 55, she lost over 85 pounds in the last two years.



Cleo Coleman spoke at the 9th annual MLK birthday celebration in Fredericksburg. Coleman knew "The Warrior", she says she used to cook for him in Philadelphia.



These little girls eating cupcakes and ice cream at a birthday party for a girl with a rare disease that causes her to have blood transfusions every three weeks (the back of the girl's head can be seen in the right hand corner).


Annnd my first ever self portrait. I needed to give a headshot to some people for an announcement and I didn't have one and my roommate was busy so.... this is my best attempt. I used a tripod to hold the camera (obviously) and then used a light stand with a towel on it to pull focus for where my eyes would be. I think it works well enough, I've never pretended to be a  portrait photographer, after all. 




Anyhoo. Here's to this week, and hoping that the next one is even better.





No comments:

Post a Comment